1 pound AsparagusCut if you like, or whole
1 pound Mushroomsvarious types, sliced
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
5 tablespoons extra virgin Olive Oil
2 fourteen-inch Pizza Crust
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1.5 teaspoon Mediterranean Herbs
You can also add
6 medium Cherry Tomatoes
1 small Red Peppercut lenghtwise
1 small Green Bell Peppercut lenghtwise
Cook the Asparagus
In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the asparagus and sauté until the pieces turn bright green and are just tender when pierced with a fork, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Cook the Mushrooms
Add the mushrooms and cook until the juices have evaporated and they are soft, about 3 minutes.
Spread the topping on the pizza and bake
Return the asparagus to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and herbs. Spread the topping on each of two 14-inch prepared pizza crusts, add mozzarella, and bake following the instructions for the pizza crust.
This vegetarian asparagus and mushrooms pizza is one of the simplest pizzas you can find, yet is very tasty due to its main ingredients and Mediterranean herbs (containing rosemary, parsley, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano, bay, savory, and/or lovage). Use as many types of mushrooms as you can find, giving this pizza a better design and slightly different taste every time you combine the mushroom types.
Content on this page…
I always look for asparagus at the market. The best asparagus for this recipe is the thin, green one. It is perfect even raw, only with few drops of olive and a pinch of salt… Who doesn’t love Asparagus? It goes great along with so many ingredients, and this pizza is great in this combo. Asparagus is a quintessential spring vegetable, and versatile enough to be used in stir-fries, pasta, soups, salads, and here, as a pizza topping. Even it is vegetarian, this pizza has a great Mediterranean flavor!
With this kind of ingredients, it is best to top only with mozzarella, feta, or ricotta. Of course, you can add whatever meat you like (I prefer poultry), but it will take your attention from asparagus and mushrooms and the taste will be so much different than the initial recipe… I prefer it only with extra mozzarella, feta or ricotta.
Pizza crust can be made with cauliflower, and it will be also gluten-free. This crust is made with just a handful of all-natural ingredients. All you need is some cauliflower (bonus if it’s already “riced” for you), chopper, almond flour, and seasonings. The key to getting a dry vegetarian cauliflower pizza crust is to “wring-out” all of the moisture first.
- To prepare the vegetarian pizza crust, you’ll need to cook the cauliflower first. You can steam it or dry roast it if you’re using fresh cauliflower.
- Once you have the dried cauliflower “pulp,” add it in the chopper along with almond flour and seasonings (what you like). It may look crumbly at first, but if you mix it with your hands (or an electric hand/stand mixer) it starts to stick together nicely.
- Keep in mind that this is not your average pizza dough. It won’t be stretchy because there’s no gluten in it. Instead, it will be a pile that you’ll need to press out onto a large pizza sheet.
- Bake the pizza crust until it is dry and easy to pick up with your hands, about 45 minutes. You can flip it over at this point and bake for 10-15 minutes more to dry out the other side, but I’m usually impatient and just start adding the toppings after I flip it over.
Or you can opt for the classic crust version, with flour, yeast, warm water, a pinch of salt, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put them all together in a big bowl and mix all ingredients until you get a slightly sticky dough.
- Let it rest for at least 1h ( normally it must rest 24h before putting in the oven, but if you’re in a hurry, you can let it only 1h).
Even if the crust is made with flour and not with cauliflower as I explained above, this recipe still can be useful in a weight loss diet because it has no grease, no meat, and if you opt for the full vegetarian recipe, not even gluten. So, apart from the fact that it is healthy, it can help you with your slimming diet.
You can easily double or triple this recipe to make more servings for a bigger family. If you have leftovers, store them well in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat under the oven broiler for a few minutes until warm.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.