- 2 pounds Zucchini
- 1/4 pound Feta Cheese
- 2 small Green Onionthinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Mint
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chivesminced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon juice from a Lemon
- 1/3 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta salad is an easy way to use the first of the season’s zucchini and can be served through summer and into fall as well. Be sure to squeeze the grated zucchini very dry so that the salad will not be watery.
Content on this page…
- Did you Know?
- About Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta Salad recipe
- Can I freeze or refrigerate Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta?
- I’m not a Vegetarian, can I add meat?
- Health benefits of Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta Salad
- Notes and Tips
- Recipe Instructions (Steps for Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta Salad) ↓
Fresh mint, feta cheese, and zucchini are a favorite summer salad combination in small tavernas throughout the Greek Isles. For a more colorful salad, use one zucchini and one yellow squash. This salad is especially appealing to me because there aren’t too many ingredients — a salad doesn’t always need to have 20 ‘things‘ in it. My rule of thumb for keeping things simple is to use good, seasonal ingredients and the taste will be much better than any other complex dish. Here, the thinly sliced zucchini are chargrilled (it adds a hint of smokiness) for a couple of minutes on a dry pan. Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta salad is excellent with meat or fish, but can also be eaten simply for those of you who are having trouble slimming. Along with a top toasted, garlic-rubbed bread (maybe with a fried egg or a few slices of prosciutto), any leftovers can be called dinner.
You can refrigerate Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta for about 12-24 hours but it definitely cannot be frozen. Frozen zucchini lose their texture once thawed. Some say that it can be frozen for about one month, but for this particular recipe don’t do it.
This healthy Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta is full of fresh Greek flavors, and is a great side dish for chicken, lamb, steaks, and more! So if you are a vegetarian you can eat it like this or use it as a healthy side dish. You can also add a cup of cooked cuscus or bulgur to make a whole grain salad.
The zucchini is one of the most used vegetables in summer. It belongs to the family of cucurbits and consists of more than 90% water and contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B9, C and K. Potassium is the most abundant mineral (200mg / 100g) and regulates the water balance, supports kidney function and stimulates metabolism. The vitamins and minerals are found mainly in the peel, therefore, the peel should always be processed with. (The best way is raw consumption) Zucchini has very few calories, and therefore popular in various diets, and due to the low sodium content, they are very well suited for a low-salt diet. The consumption of zucchini stimulates metabolism and has a diuretic effect.
Feta is the most well-known cheese in Greece. It is a soft, white, brined cheese that is very nutritious and is an excellent source of calcium.
As part of Mediterranean cuisine, this cheese is used in all sorts of dishes ranging from appetizers to desserts. Feta cheese is a low-calorie, low-fat cheese. It is also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, and phosphorus. Calcium and phosphorus are present in feta cheese in amounts that can help support bone health. Another ingredient in this amazing salad is the lemon.
Lemons are high in vitamin C, fiber, and various beneficial plant compounds. These nutrients are responsible for several health benefits. In fact, lemons may support heart health, weight control, and digestive health.
- This is a very quick dish to prepare but you could also grill the zucchini ahead of time (even the day before) and dress them in the olive oil and lemon juice, then just tumble all the other ingredients over just before serving.
- When in doubt, put your zucchini on the grill or an indoor griddle. They’ll soften up and get nice and charred imparting great flavor with very little effort
- This Mediterranean Zucchini and Feta Salad would be a perfect main dish salad for any phase of any type of low-carb eating plan, including Keto.
- This zucchini salad can be served at room temperature, which makes it the perfect potluck dish to bring along.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.
Prepare the salad
Cut the zucchini lengthwise. Also, cut the onion and chives. In a bowl, toss together the zucchini, cheese, onions, mint, chives, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!