- 1/2 Lb. Beef TenderloinSliced
- 1/2 small Onionchopped
- 1 cup Celery Stalkrinsed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Pepperchopped lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Yellow Pepperchopped lengthwise
- 1 cup Snow Peas
- 2 cups Tomatoesdiced
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 small Carrotschopped lengthwise
- 1 cup Rice
- 1.5 cups Water
Prepare the ingredients
Chop the celery stalk, onion, slice the beef in ~ 1-inch thickness, and dice the tomatoes. Then, chop lengthwise the peppers and carrots.
Brown the beef
In a sauté pan, brown the beef. Drain off the extra fat by tilting the sauté pan over a disposable cup in the sink to collect the fat. Use the lid to shield the meat from falling out. After the fat has turned solid, discard the cup in the trash.
Add the rest of ingredients
Add the rest of the ingredients to the sauté pan (including water - very important), and mix well. You can cook the rice separately or put it together with the rest of the ingredients. I usually cook the rice separately for a better design of the dish.
Bring to boil
Cover sauté pan with a lid and cook over medium heat until boiling, about 8-10 minutes.
Simmer the Casserole
Reduce to low heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Before you take it off from heat, see if you have any uncooked veggies or meat. Some of my followers said they needed to let it simmer about 45 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Vegetables and beef casserole is a recipe that will tickle your taste buds. Onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes, paprika, frozen peas, carrots, and rice are the best combo with the lean ground beef, especially when served hot.
Content on this page…
- Did you Know?
- About the recipe for beef and vegetable casserole
- Besides Green bell pepper, can I add also yellow and red? The taste will change?
- Is the lean ground beef & veggies casserole great for family dinners?
- Health Benefits of for casseroles with balanced ingredients (beef meat and veggies)
- Notes and Tips
The beef and veggie casserole is a classic, prepared with tender cuts of lean beef, veggies, and a rich gravy. Casseroles are easy and versatile dinner recipes. The casserole can be easily prepared before dinner time and leftovers can be frozen for another day. Beef is packed full of iron; an essential mineral needed for red blood cells and prevention of anemia.
This beef casserole recipe is one of the most affordable recipes I’ve written, so it’s perfect if you’re cooking for a big group on a budget.
The different colors of bell peppers actually do taste different. Green is the least ripe and the most bitter. The others are much sweeter, with red being the sweetest. If a recipe calls for green peppers, or you simply feel like adding some peppers to your meals better to know that adding red or yellow ones will sweeten the preparation. Red has the most nutrients and is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat. So, you can add red or yellow peppers but it will change the taste of the dish.
Warm-up in winter with a hearty and nutritious beef casserole. So easy to cook, these types of casseroles are perfect for midweek dinners – plus they’re ideal for leftovers! Packed with flavor and fast to prepare, beef and vegetable casserole meals will satisfy the whole family. This particular dish is made, in fact, for 8 servings, therefore it is great for family dinners, even better when you have guests.
This recipe has its ingredients balanced, and what makes it balanced is a perfect amount of each ingredient. The vegetables of your choice count in your vegetal nutrients intake, while the beef is a good source of protein. For this casserole, dairy and fruit are easy to add as a side dish or dessert, making it more nutritious.
Why is it important to consider the balance of food groups in your meal? A registered dietitian will ensure that balanced meals (with meat and veggies) have great health benefits impact.
- If beef is not to your taste, simply replace it with another meat of your choice (pork is advised).
- Vegetarians can simply add more vegetables and a mixture of beans and legumes. Mushrooms can replace the beef.
- Don’t try and rush the browning of the meat, if there is too much meat in the pan it will stew in its own juice and will not get brown.
- This casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months, thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
- It makes a great family pie filling. Spoon into a baking dish and top with pastry or mashed or sweet potato.
- Cooking with the lid on means flavor will be trapped in the dish and won’t disappear into the ether. For this, you want your lid to fit tightly and perfectly to your pot. A Dutch oven is great; the heavy lid seals perfectly over the base. You don’t want to use a pot that is too large for the dish you are preparing; if there’s a lot of space between lid and food, steam fills the space and creates condensation on the lid, which drips into the sauce. That’s how you get a watery sauce. If you want the sauce or gravy to reduce, that’s when you take the lid off.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.