- 4 cups Broccoli Floweretscut bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup kernels from Sunflower Seeds
- 1.5 cups Raisin
- 1 cup Walnut Pieces
- 2/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat or Skim Milk
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons Vinegar
The Mediterranean Original Salad recipe is one of a kind. Broccoli is popular in both Asian and Western cuisines, and it can take on different flavor profiles depending on the ingredients with which it’s prepared. This is a good use for USDA commodity raisins and walnuts, but dried cranberries or cherries could be used as well. Toasting the walnuts deepens the flavor and aroma of the nuts.
Content on this page…
- Did you Know?
- About Mediterranean Original Salad recipe. A vegetarian goodie!
- Original European Salad
- History of Mediterranean Salads
- Notes and Tips for this vegetarian Mediterranean salad
- Can this vegetarian salad be used for weight-loss diets?
- Recipe Instructions (Steps for Mediterranean Original Salad) ↓
This homemade best-ever broccoli salad is so good it will make even the biggest broccoli salad-snobs reconsider! Flavorful, simple, and delicious! What I love about this dish is its simplicity. It’s filled with just a handful of wholesome ingredients and can be made ahead, which makes it great for summer picnics or pool days. I just LOVE this vegetarian Mediterranean Original Salad! If you love broccoli salad, I recommend you give this one a try! I know you’ll love it just as much as I do!
Due to its ingredients, this is an original European salad. Broccoli, for example, appears to have origins in the northern Mediterranean zone, found in the Roman Empire. Raisins are believed that were planted first in Corinth Grece. They are a kind of seedless grape dried in the sun. Also, mayonnaise is part of the European sauces, appeared in French cookbooks in the 18th century, also found in Spain.
As per Wiki Salads, The Romans, ancient Greeks, and Persians ate mixed greens with dressing, a type of mixed salad. Salads, including layered and dressed salads, have been popular in Europe since the Greek and Roman imperial expansions.
What is a salad? Food historians tell us that ancient Romans and Greeks liked to eat salad (often defined as a mix of vegetables and condiments). As time passed, salad became more and more complicated. Recipes vary by location and time. The dinner salad we know today is very popular among the Renaissance people. In the 18th century, people began to enjoy salads combining various ingredients. They are called Salmagundi. Today, they are called chef’s salads.
Why do we call it a salad? The basis for the word salad is ‘sal’, meaning salt. This was chosen because in ancient times, salt was often an ingredient in the dressing.
- Don’t forget to toast the slivered almonds before adding to the broccoli salad. Watch them carefully when toasting, they burn easily!
- Make sure the broccoli pieces are bite-sized – keeping kids in mind as well.
- Use 1 head of broccoli. Trim the leaves off. Optionally, you can quickly blanch the broccoli by dipping it into the pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes. Then, chop the broccoli into small bites.
- If you want to reduce the amount of mayonnaise in the dressing, substitute half of the mayonnaise with sour cream. Or, for a lite version of this salad dressing, use Greek yogurt instead of half of the mayonnaise.
This can be questionable due to the fact that mayo appears in this recipe. However, mayo can be replaced with yogurt, and this way, Mediterranean original salad can be used in weight-loss diets.
Broccoli is one of the healthiest foods in the world. Although a lot of people do not like the taste of this delicious vegetable, broccoli can be an important ally in the fight against excess weight, especially if you follow a diet with which you can lose weight and up to 8 kilos in 10 days. It is a great choice for slimming purposes because has low-calorie intake, but that’s not the only benefit you’ll gain. It’s packed with essential nutrients and contains fiber, which contributes to a healthy lifestyle. Several micronutrients in broccoli are known to support weight loss, and its phytochemicals show the potential for breaking down fats. If you are on a slimming diet, try also my other salads.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.
Combine the vegetables
Cut the broccoli florets in half and, if large, in quarters or bite-sized pieces. Combine them in a bowl with the raisins, sunflower seed kernels, and walnuts.
Prepare the Dressing
In another bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, milk, sugar, and vinegar to make a dressing. Taste. It should be a combination of sweet and tart.
The Vegetarian Mediterranean Original Salad is almost done
Pour the dressing over the veggie mixture and turn to coat well. It should be 6-8 servings. Enjoy!