- 2 cups Chickpeas
- 4 cups Red Kidney Beans
- 1 brown Onionchopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 x 400g cans chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons juice from a fresh Lemon
- 4 cups Water
- to taste Bread Cubes
- Instead of water, use Vegetable Broth
Prepare the Onion and Turmeric
Heat the olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Chopp and add onion, turmeric and fry over medium heat for 5–10 minutes.
Stir in the water and chickpeas
Add chickpeas and beans to the pan, and stir through the water (or vegetable broth).
Add the rest of ingredients and Simmer
Stir in tomatoes and lemon juice. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread cubes. Enjoy!
A vegan stew is recommended at least once a month, no matter if it is simple like this Tuscan Bean Stew or complex. The thing is you need to have a detox once a month, and eating soups or stews for a whole day will make this happening.
Content on this page…
I wanted to prepare something very simple, yet tasty enough to indulge my family’s taste buds. They are eating mostly preparation with meat, or vegetarian, but because I want every month to have a day for detox, I included this Vegan Tuscan Bean Stew in their meal plan and guess what… they loved it. When it comes to healthy meals, the stews and soups are the best choices, especially during winter. First, I wanted to make it vegetarian, but because there are a lot of variations for vegetarian Tuscan Bean Stew, I thought my vegan readers to have great preparation. Regarding the recipe, it has simple ingredients that can be found in any kitchen like turmeric, onion, chickpeas, beans, and tomatoes. Moreover, apart from the fact it is healthy, the Tuscan Bean Stew is also gluten-free and can be eaten by anyone. Sometimes simple is better, especially when you want to lose weight and don’t know how to start, or you do not find tasty recipes to add in your meal plan for this particular diet. Trust me, the vegan Tuscan Bean Stew is the best dish that has it all!
1. WEIGHT-LOSS: If you searched for a weight-loss stew rather than a vegan one, as I said in the about section, the Tuscan Bean Stew has it all. Because of the chickpeas and beans, your brain will think it’s full for longer and due to the fact these ingredients are vegetables, it can be digested much easier. Therefore, you’ll have a full stomach, great digestion and a satisfied brain that thinks you do not need to eat for at least a couple of hours. The Tuscan bean stew is one of the greatest recipes to save if you want to lose weight and also have a tasty meal.
2. DETOX: Being perfect for weight-loss, the Tuscan bean stew has also detox proprieties. It is true that it isn’t the first choice if you want to have a full detox meal, but can be the first choice if you want to have multiple benefits. Therefore, adding the detox to its properties makes this bowl of soup a divine preparation.
I used prepared & canned chickpeas in this recipe, but if you want to have natural and unprepared chickpeas, here is how you can prepare them ahead:
- Pour the chickpea into a larger bowl and add water to cover 5-6 times its volume. Put a teaspoon of baking soda in the water as well – it will speed up the boiling.
- Leave the chickpea overnight to soften it – if in the meantime you notice that it has increased too much in volume and is no longer covered by water, add more (water).
- The next day, drain it from the water, wash it thoroughly and bring to a boil in plenty of water, covered about twice its volume. When it starts to boil it makes a foam, take it lightly with a spoon, reduce the heat and leave it for about 2 hours. I do not put aromatic plants to the boil (bay leaf, onion, rosemary) because I want to have a neutral flavor to taste, good for any preparation (even as a dietary sweet cake top).
- Be careful to boil under low heat. It is ready when you take a grain and crush it between your fingers, being creamy and soft. The boiling time differs, I had cases when I boiled it in 1 hour, in 3, or in 5 (read carefully the prospect) – the fastest chickpea is the Arabic one. When ready, turn off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Chickpeas can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.