- 2 14-inch Pizza Crust
- 4 large Leeksthinly sliced, mostly white parts
- 6 ounces Feta Cheesecrumbled
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
Cook the Leeks
Thinly slice the leeks and crumble the feta cheese. In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. When the butter foams, add the leeks and stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the leeks have softened and have reduced in volume, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the cover and cook, stirring from time to time, until the leeks are quite soft and lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Bake the Pizza
Spread the braised leeks on two already prepared pizza crusts and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Follow the baking instructions for the pizza crust. Enjoy!
A layer of braised leeks lends a smooth texture and a sweet, mild onion flavor to the pizza, and goes well with the slightly salty feta cheese favored in Bulgaria, Greece, Israel, and elsewhere in Europe and the Middle East, where leeks are popular.
Content on this page…
A delicious white pizza made from scratch in about an hour. This recipe features savory, tender leeks, and melty feta cheese. Is there any foods or beverages that you can eat or drink every day? For me, it’s pizza and coffee. Let’s breakdown what’s in this delicious vegetarian pizza:
- Simple crust: Thin crust that’s crispy and lightly browned on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
- Leeks: The light green to the white edible part of this vegetable taste like a sweeter, more mellow onion. Leeks are pretty sandy, so you need to clean them well. If you don’t, you may hear the crunch of sand between your teeth.
- Cheese: and we are talking here about Feta cheese (not the usual Parmesan or Parmigiano). Counted as one of the best sources of -good fats-, cheese, and especially Feta cheese comes highly recommended by fitness experts across the world for the health benefits it boasts of.
The Mediterranean Sea is actually part of the Atlantic Ocean; a total of 21 countries have a coastline on the Mediterranean. However, only a few truly epitomize the Mediterranean diet and lifestyle. Having a decent understanding of these countries and their cooking styles can help you have a better appreciation for this way of life.
The best flavors from Mediterranean cuisine – by country
Although you may see some of the same ingredients in many recipes, the flavors used in different countries or regions create entirely different dishes. For example, if you’ve eaten both Italian and Greek meatballs, you know that the two varieties sure don’t taste the same.
- Italian food is rich and savory with strongly flavored ingredients. Look for tomato-based sauces and even an occasional kick of spiciness.
- Greek cooking runs the gamut from tangy with citrus accents to savory. Ingredients such as feta cheese add a strong, bold flavor, while yogurt helps provide a creamy texture and soft flavor.
- Moroccan cooking uses exotic flavors that encompass both sweet and savory, often in one dish. The food has strong flavors but isn’t necessarily spicy.
- Regardless of what part of Spain you’re in or like, you can always count on garlic and olive oil setting the stage for a flavorful dish. Spanish dishes are often inspired by Arabic and Roman cuisine with an emphasis on fresh seafood. You often find combinations of savory and sweet flavors, such as a seafood stew using sweet paprika.
Yes, you can add meat, all kinds of meat actually. You can add grilled meat, sausage, fried, minced (chicken, beef, lamb, even seafood). What’s great about this braised leeks and Feta cheese pizza is the versatility of adding whatever you like, mixed the way you like… and you cannot be wrong by doing so.
Yes, you can freeze the vegetarian braised leeks and feta cheese pizza! This is a good way to make it last longer, but it is recommended to not have it frozen for more than one month. Also, pay attention to how you refrigerate it. In the end, it is inevitable that flavor and texture will be affected as a result of refrigeration. Promptly store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
- For extra flavor, put in a glass of water 250 ml of olive oil, two crushed garlic cloves, a few peppercorns, a spring of thyme, half a bay leaf, a spring of basil and rosemary. Keep it covered in the fridge overnight.
- Before taking out pizza from the oven, add a few teaspoons of this aromatic oil over the other ingredients and put it back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes. This flavored oil will give your pizza an authentic Mediterranean taste.
- Also, if you choose to make your own pizza dough, use olive oil and special pizza flour.
- Keep in mind that feta cheese, when heated, it softens but does not melt.
- My favorite method for shaping the pizza is to roll the dough onto a piece of baking paper. The dough sticks to the baking paper, making it easier to work with and easier to transfer into the oven.
I'm sorry you didn't like it 🙁
Tell me, how can I improve this recipe? Your opinion is very important.